Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 08:12 -0700, Dave N6NZ wrote:
>
>> And those who might like to contribute don't find a hacking guide here
>> either, one of my perennial gripes.
>
> I also think that "hacking" documentation can be very important to a
> project. Some people say: You have the source code, that should be
> enough. It may be enough to very smart guys, and for the original
> authors. But it may be not enough for all.

That glosses over my point.... I could, in theory, get everything I need
from reading the source, at a great cost of my personal time and energy.
  Other projects show more respect for my time by providing the
documentation necessary to avoid all that pain.  So they get my patches,
not gEDA.  I need to prioritize somehow, that's my metric.

Developer time is a scarce commodity -- if a project wants some, then it
needs to be attractive.  Growing the developer community, by definition,
will not happen by addressing the needs of the current developer
community.  That will only ensure that the project doesn't bleed
developers.  The only way to grow the developer community is to address
the needs of those not currently developers, but capable of being so.

It's really bleeding obvious.

-dave