Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

Dave McGuire wrote:
>> Apparently, programming for Windows is much more difficult than
>> programming for unix.
>
>    I've never seen it, but I'm told that the Windows API is actually
> rather nice.  I suspect it's more a matter of more highly-skilled
> programmers not working with Windows.  At least for the most part.

Windows is just way different.  There is no where near a 1:1 mapping of
functionality in API calls between Windows and *nix.  And things that
are efficient on one system can be awful on the other... fork() being an
example of something that is notoriously expensive on Windows and highly
tuned (usually) on *nix.  If you find one of those deeply embedded in
the architecture of a program, it can make porting very painful.  And
the Windows API specification is much more volatile.

Porting isn't easy.  And even if you decide up front to design for
portability among Windows, OS X, and X-windows, there is no single,
obvious, straight-forward strategy.

-dave

And don't ask me for more details.... I've purposely avoided Windows
programming (because I could) and have fallen woefully behind on Windows
programming methodologies.