Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

John Griessen wrote:
> Eric Brombaugh wrote:
>> Ben Jackson wrote:
>   Writing Verilog is at the abstraction level of approximately
>>> a macro assembler.  At the high end it might reach up into the level of
>>> BASIC.
>> No arguments here. OTOH, if you actually look at what's going on inside
>> of an HDL synthesis tool as it turns your RTL into gates, I think you'd
>> see that it's at least as complex as what a good optimizing C compiler
>> is doing.

OK, I've been a CPU designer (at Intel, among other places) and also
worked in the EDA industry as a s/w developer (logic and fault
simulation, for the most part).  And I've also been involved in C/C++
compiler development (not working on the optimizer, but trying to break
it :)  My perspective...

HDL synthesis to silicon is way harder than compiling C++.  At least an
order of magnitude.  There are fewer constraints, infinitely many
back-end processes, and layer upon layer of NP-complete problems.  Place
and route interacts with timing analysis which interacts with device
sizing, etc, etc... And don't forget that a couple of percent in clock
speed is *huge* in profitability, so it's worth polishing the design.
You get a lot more for the parts that test into the "fast" speed bin,
even though it didn't cost more to make them.

-dave