Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

al davis wrote:
> On Saturday 09 May 2009, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
>> You keep asking why there are dedicated debian, gentoo and
>> fedora packagers, but none for MSwin. Well, preparing a
>> windows port is nowhere near to the task of preparing it for
>> an OS that is native to the project. So please stop
>> complaining about windows users.
>
> I am not complaining, just responding to those who complain
> about the lack of a windows port.   For it to happen, somebody
> needs to take responsbility for it, stick with it to completion,
> and continue to maintain it for every new release.  It's a lot
> of work.

Ok, hold the tomatoes, completely off the cuff here:

If I were VP or Whatever at gEDA (I am not) I'd really try to avoid
what's probably called a fork here, where one group completely
seperates, takes the road on the other side of the hill and both groups
have to monitor each other for features and bug fixes. This more than
doubles the effort.

I'd ask the gurus to take a look at what other EDA programming groups do
differently. Eagle, BAE (Bartels), Kicad, they all seem to come out with
several OS installs every time a new version comes out. Maybe then the
gurus would find what someone already mentioned a while ago (Stuart?),
that there are certain tricks or whatever in the code that make an easy
port nearly impossible. Then a decision would need to be made, and the
outcome might very well be that it all better remain Linux-centric.

> Apparently, programming for Windows is much more difficult than
> programming for unix.

Not sure. AFAIK Jean-Pierre Charras did it all by himself early on and
it seems the team is still quite small. No idea how he did that
alongside his teaching/research job. Now there seem to be more. Yet he
and the group produced something rather remarkable and it is multi-platform.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.