Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

Dave McGuire wrote:
> On May 10, 2009, at 6:43 AM, Chris Smith wrote:

[...]

>> I am about to start work on a project with another engineer who uses
>> Windows.  I would dearly love to use gEDA for this project, however I
>> respect his choice of OS and thus we will be forced to use something
>> like Eagle instead.

Yes, and mostly the default is OrCad these days. Occasionally I have a
client that uses another system such as MicroCad or Cadsoft. None use
gEDA so far but there's always hope ;-)

>    Yes, but look at the bigger picture.  He's most likely using
> Windows because someone (his boss perhaps?) forced HIM to.  I don't
> know *anyone* who actually chooses to use Windows because they prefer
> it over their other choices.

In my case there is no boss. I'm da boss :-)

But: There is tons of SW and HW that simply refuses to work with Linux
or any OS other than Windows. Some of if requires XP or older, no Vista.
Yet I need all that to serve my clients.

>    And, that said, there's nothing preventing the vendor of Eagle
> (into whom your new project will presumably be locked) from writing
> gEDA file format I/O into their software to facilitate
> interoperability...but you know as well as I do that interoperability
> is the last thing proprietary software vendors want.

Actually you'd be surprised. They have said that they'd embrace EDA
cooperation in this respect but that this ain't the case with many other
vendors.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/