Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 17:13 -0700, Joerg wrote:

> IMHO that is fundamentally wrong. How many successful race car drivers
> these days do you think can disassemble and re-assemble a Ferrari engine
> _and_ tune it properly?

What I heard about Michael Schumacher was that his strength was more his
technical understanding about the car, which makes it possible to
discuss with the tech team to improve the cat, than his driving skills.

> I know several fine electronics engineers who are not at all versed in
> fixing a PC, let alone install an OS. In fact, this is the majority of
> top notch engineers that I know.

It's hard for me to imagine an engineer who can not install an OS, when
so many 12 years old school boys can do it. I can imagine other "top
notch" people, like (financial) managers, artists, maybe mathematicians
-- but that is not out target group.

Of course gEDA for Windows would mean more users. But would those
additional user contribute something to the project?

KiCAD was available from the beginning for Windows. Based on your logic
the development of KiCad should be very fast, because of all these "top
notch engineers" who can use it and who can contribute. I do not know
much about KiCAD, but it seems to be not too bad, and I know some people
who used it on Windows. But most development seems to be still done by
the original author.

Best regards

Stefan Saleswki