Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 17:13 -0700, Joerg wrote:
>
>> IMHO that is fundamentally wrong. How many successful race car drivers
>> these days do you think can disassemble and re-assemble a Ferrari engine
>> _and_ tune it properly?
>>

> What I heard about Michael Schumacher was that his strength was more his
> technical understanding about the car, which makes it possible to
> discuss with the tech team to improve the cat, than his driving skills.

Sure they know the technology, just like a pilot must know the inner
workings of a jet engine or like I know how C and assembler is written.
But that does not mean those people can perform the work of an expert
mechanic or engineer in those fields. In fact most can't, and they don't
have to.

>> I know several fine electronics engineers who are not at all versed in
>> fixing a PC, let alone install an OS. In fact, this is the majority of
>> top notch engineers that I know.
>>

> It's hard for me to imagine an engineer who can not install an OS, when
> so many 12 years old school boys can do it. I can imagine other "top
> notch" people, like (financial) managers, artists, maybe mathematicians
> -- but that is not out target group.

Maybe hard to imagine for you but that how life is :-)

> Of course gEDA for Windows would mean more users. But would those
> additional user contribute something to the project?

Oh yes. Without feedback from lots of folks who do engineering and CAD
for decades you cannot create a good CAD tool.

> KiCAD was available from the beginning for Windows. Based on your logic
> the development of KiCad should be very fast, because of all these "top
> notch engineers" who can use it and who can contribute. ...

It has improved trmendously over the last three years.

>                                                      ... I do not know
> much about KiCAD, but it seems to be not too bad, and I know some people
> who used it on Windows. ...

IMHO it's at a more useful stage right now than gEDA. No flames please,
that's just my personal opinion, as someone who's done CAD quite
extensively for over 20 years. Kicad is a very good CAD program, but has
some quirks left.

>            .. But most development seems to be still done by
> the original author.

Yes, and therefore even more amazing. But I never understood why the
Charras team and the gEDA team don't join forces. Very good things could
come out of that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/