Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 11:28 -0700, Joerg wrote:
>> We can bitch
>> and moan about MS but the fact remains that by not having a ready-to-go
>> Windows build gEDA alienates something like 99% of potential users.
>

> My very personal view:
> People not interested in Linux are not interested in free software at
> all. They may be interested to save some bucks, but they may use illegal
> copies with more fun than really free, open source software.
>
> People not able to install a multiboot system on their PC will not be
> able to to build some fine electronics and to contribute to free
> software. OK, they may contribute some stupid questions...

IMHO that is fundamentally wrong. How many successful race car drivers
these days do you think can disassemble and re-assemble a Ferrari engine
_and_ tune it properly?

I know several fine electronics engineers who are not at all versed in
fixing a PC, let alone install an OS. In fact, this is the majority of
top notch engineers that I know.

> Gimp for Windows exists, but many people still use commercial software
> (often illegal copies) for doing things that Gimp can do very well.

I have never illegally copied anything. Yet I was able to do everything
needed in engineering with CAD, SPICE, word processors, MS-Works, some
other programs and the stuff that comes pre-installed on a PC. Yes, I
can install an OS and have done so but I am not particularly good at
that, probably a lot worse than you'd be at it. Yet I have designed
electronics that have sucessfully and profitably remained in production
for more than a decade. Oh, and I've made a good living doing that, so far.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.