Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 16:52 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On May 8, 2009, at 4:46 PM, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> > Some years ago I have tried using Oberon and AOS from ETH Zurich --
> > nice
> > operating systems based on fine Oberon language. But they got no
> > popularity outside the academic ETH world.
>
>    That sounds interesting; I will have to check it out!

I do not suggest wasting time with it. Oberon was invented by Prof.
Niklaus Wirth, he invented the Oberon programming language as successor
to Pascal and Modula, and build the Oberon operating system written in
the Oberon language. But he missed the chance to make it popular outside
of ETH. When he invented Pascal he missed also to make it popular --
Pascal became popular because of TurboPascal, a commercial product. In
the last years, after Wirth retired, there was still some activity at
ETH, they build AOS, later renamed to BlueBottle, a compact multitasking
OS with a modern graphical GUI. But they have done no effort to make it
popular or to build a developer community outside of ETH. So this
project died when PhD Student Thomas Frey left ETH, I think there is
nearly no activity now.

> > i.e. BSD. And there exists nicer languages than C and C++.
>
>    Nicer in some ways, perhaps, but not faster!  (at least for C)
>
>            -Dave

Sure. C with fine gcc compiler is really fast, and I like it for micro
controller programming. But I do not like it too much for PC
programming, and I do not like C++ too much also. Currently I am
learning Ruby -- it's nice, but it is only an interpreted language
(scripting language).

Best regards

Stefan Salewski