Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

Stefan Salewski wrote:

> It's hard for me to imagine an engineer who can not install an OS, when

The issue is not their /ability/ to install, but whether they should be
/forced/ to install an OS.  FOSS is all about freedom of choice; freedom
to choose the best tools and OS for a given situation -- and not just
the freedom to choose a *nix OS, but also the freedom to choose
something else.

I find it ironic that the FOSS community is so outspoken on the evils of
vendor lock-in, but will happily accept it if it forces people to use
FOSS OS's.  In my eyes, forcing people to install Linux to use $TOOL is
no less evil that forcing people to install Windows to use MS Office.

> Of course gEDA for Windows would mean more users. But would those
> additional user contribute something to the project?

Who knows?  But more Windows users will probably lead to more Linux
users, who would contribute.  Engineers (IME) rarely work in complete
isolation, but need to share and collaborate with other Engineers; since
a very large percentage of Engineers use Windows, the lack of gEDA for
Windows actually forces Linux users away from gEDA.

I am about to start work on a project with another engineer who uses
Windows.  I would dearly love to use gEDA for this project, however I
respect his choice of OS and thus we will be forced to use something
like Eagle instead.

Chris
--
Chris Smith <cjs94@xxxxxxxxxx>