Re: gEDA-user: geda cygwin package

gene glick wrote:
>> To get back on topic .....  We had cygwin on the lab computers.
>> I encouraged students to install it on their own computers if
>> they were running windows and didn't also have a unix-type OS
>> such as Linux, BSD, or Mac.
>>
> Have you seen Sun's Virtual Box?  It's very cool.  Basically, it creates
> a virtual environment, somewhat isolated from the host OS, in which you
> can install any OS you like.  At work, I've installed Ubuntu on my XP
> system.  I'm finding it a bit of a memory hog, but otherwise it works
> just fine.  I have Cygwin too, but really prefer the Virtual Box.  I get
> full blown Linux without compromises of Cygwin.  Then, if it turns out
> you don't like it, or want it to go away just delete the virtual partition.

I'll second that, also using VirtualBox here with Ubuntu mounted on it.
Installing the guest additions required some wrestling but this now
enables me to jump back and forth between Windows programs and, for
example, gschem. You can even copy and paste stuff between the two OS'es.

The only thing you must remember is the "right-ctrl F" key combo to get
in and out of full screen mode. It's not cool if you are in full screen
for hours and then don't remember how to get back to your host OS (this
happened to me the first time I tried gEDA). In full screen mode you
literally think you are on a Linux box, tux and all. Except that tux
looks mal-nourished and jaundiced on Ubuntu.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/