Re: gEDA-user: geda cygwin package

David C. Kerber wrote:
>I have nothing against any of the *nix systems; I've been pushing for trying some Linux systems in my company for a while,

but I finally got some support from another of our developers, so we're at long last looking at porting some of our stuff to Linux.

  None of us are experienced with it yet, but we love learning new stuff.

Many chip companies get advantage running servers based on opteron processors -- the linux compiles of many programs
used in simulation fly on those.  The way engineering tools were based on unix and recompiling for a 64 bit processors
gives a boost economically, with no consideration of any coding or scripting style, is separate from the familiarity reason they
have bias towards unixes in chip design land.  It's maybe arguable that named pipes, sockets and such features of unixes
give more fast prototyping than in Windows -- I can't say from lack of experience.

> I guess what bothers me is that many (not all, of course) engineers and developers who are used to working on *nix with C,

seem to think that anything windows-based is a toy for somebody who can't handle their chosen path.

And that's just as unhelpful an attitude as those who say, without even giving it a real try, that anything that doesn't work the

way they're used to on windows is too hard, or is "for geeks only".

> Neither one of those attitudes represent enough of the full picture to be useful for planning a way forward...

Nope.

John Griessen

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX
tinyOS devel on:  ubuntu Linux;   tinyOS v2.0.2;   telosb ecosens1