Re: gEDA-user: C++ HDL

John Doty wrote:
> [...]
,
,
,

> I remember this same argument over tubes. And while the haven't
> exactly gone away (the reheated cup of tea in my hand is proof!) they
> have been sufficiently eclipsed that for the purposes of a university
> professor designing an EE curriculum they may safely be ignored.
> Discrete semiconductors have the same future, but there is less here
> than you think. Future designers will still have to design with
> individual transistors, but they'll mostly fiddle with w, l, and m
> (or whatever equivalent their HDL uses) to get them. Anybody who can
> analyze the consequences of those choices can easily learn to use
> discretes in the rare cases where they will be necessary. But they'll
> be annoyed by the limited choices. ASIC design has spoiled me enough,
> I'm already there.

As soon as some of the organic semi materials are available in
material layer stackups with
protection against oxidation destruction gEDA tools and maybe Magic chip layout
will be useful for transistor level designs just like chip design, but on
a garage shop ink-jet-printing budget.  There's really a need for complete, open
tools for transistor design from scratch.

John Griessen