Re: gEDA-user: C++ HDL

John Doty wrote:
>>> So will the 6L6, but few engineers ever have reason to design with
>>> one.
>>>
>> However, those who do make oodles of money. Audio freaks seem to have
>> pockets of infinite depths.
>
> Sure, but so what? There's no need to train the average EE to do this
> work.

this thread has degenerated a bunch, but.... I would argue that the
average EE *should* be able to design with a 6L6.  Actually, maybe
something like a 12AX7 (triode) would be better.  Why do I say such a
crazy thing?  Because if a school has done a decent job with its
undergrad program than you should be able to go to an engineer with no
experience using vacuum tubes, hand him/her the appendix from Gray and
Searle that does a basic derivation of a triode operation, hand him/her
a datasheet and a schematic and they should be able to right away
analyze the circuit and tell you what it is and the basics of its
performance.  A small signal model is a small signal model.  If you've
drawn a load line the exact device at hand shouldn't matter.  If you
understand the idea, the specifics are just that.  Details.  Minutia
that can be relegated to a cheat sheet (brain swap space).

That's the difference between a principles based program and an
applications/memorization based program.

-Dan