Re: gEDA-user: C++ HDL

John Doty wrote:
> On May 15, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
>
>> John Doty wrote:

[...]

>> I think the BF862 will be around for a long time,
>
> So will the 6L6, but few engineers ever have reason to design with one.

However, those who do make oodles of money. Audio freaks seem to have
pockets of infinite depths.

There's one 6L6 on duty in our living room, inside a Hammond organ. The
sound is amazing although it could be done class-D these days. But not
back in 1961. If you need a new 6L6 you can still buy them fresh off the
belt from places like Sovtek.

>> else Digikey wouldn't
>> keep >10k of them in stock most of the time. The six bump BGA (I hate
>> BGAs...) won't ever happen at reasonable cost
>
> Doesn't have to be reasonable cost. The Amptek thing everybody uses
> is $250 apiece, and is too bulky and power hungry for something like
> an x-ray APD array. If NASA and DARPA ever quit arguing over who
> should fund XNAV, they have the need, and they have the money. But
> they're both as bad as Windows users: "We have a common interest so
> here's what I need you to develop for me for free...".

Looks like a case of Windows-people phobia :-)

Cost may not matter in your business but it does when it comes to telco
and other markets. Many people tend to immediately default to "ready to
go" modules such as Apex amps where gusto is required. Part of my income
is related to replacing such designs with discretes, with cost savings
that regularly stun people. Especially controllers and CFOs ...

>> unless there is a huge
>> consumer app that needs it. Some laser measurement device or whatever.
>>
>> As for smaller geometry JFETs, those unfortunately do tend to
>> vanish and
>> someday we might even read a eulogy on ye olde 2SK3372 :-(
>
> The handwriting is on the wall.

Not yet. The -G version is in mass production and Digikey still has tons
in stock. If it ever goes lalaland it'll become hard to make micropower
oscillators that can live off fractions of a volt. Chips don't do that
well down there. The very low threshold devices from Advanced Linear
somehow never made it into the mainstream (although Mouser carries a few).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.