Re: gEDA-user: C++ HDL

John Doty wrote:

>> Our charge sensitive preamps for the Radiation Assessment Detector
>> (RAD)
>> on the Mars Science Lab mission (launch 2011) use a discrete input
>> FET.
>> 17 bit dynamic range are still tough in an integrated circuit, when
>> the
>> noise level is supposed to be 1000 electrons, and the largest expected
>> signal is 150M electrons.  The problem is less with the power, but
>> mass.
>> 1cm² board space per preamp is significant weight, if it needs to
>> go to
>> Mars.  Even more expensive was the paperwork to get that FET (BF862)
>> qualified.
>>

> Yep. A couple of years ago, the MIT folks I work with were doing some
> experiments with x-ray detection using APDs. The system I designed
> for them used a BF862 at the front end. But how much longer will this
> last. The process folks keep improving their ability to mix
> technologies. I think somebody will come up with a process mixing low
> voltage JFETs with bipolar, some designer (maybe even you or me) will
> then put a preamp (or maybe a whole measurement chain) in a six bump
> BGA, and this part of the discrete game will be over. It's had an
> awfully long run though: the Amptek hybrid that is the "industry
> standard" here is a slight modification of a preamp my old MIT
> colleague Bob Goeke designed in the early 1970's. I have a copy of
> the original schematic around here somewhere...

I think the BF862 will be around for a long time, else Digikey wouldn't
keep >10k of them in stock most of the time. The six bump BGA (I hate
BGAs...) won't ever happen at reasonable cost unless there is a huge
consumer app that needs it. Some laser measurement device or whatever.

As for smaller geometry JFETs, those unfortunately do tend to vanish and
someday we might even read a eulogy on ye olde 2SK3372 :-(

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/