Re: gEDA-user: Parts!

Way back when, when I use cadstar, what they did was have multiple
alternatives within each symbol and footprint.  So, the mapping was
generic part -> generic symbol -> alternative, and generic part ->
specific part -> footprint.  This thread makes me think we need to
allow for footprint alternatives in pcb, so it would be:

generic symbol -> alternatives (positive vs negative logic, orientation, design, etc)

generic symbol -> generic part

generic part -> specific parts (manufacturer?)
	(note: this does symbolic pins -> numbered pins too)

specific part -> slotting(grouping) -> gschem (this is done in gschem)
specific part -> footprint class -> specific footprint

specific part -> vendor, costs, inventory, etc.

footprint class (or specific) -> slotting(numbering) -> gschem (this is done in pcb)

For SOP footprints, for example, we could "outline around pads" and
"outline between pads" options, or project-specific alternatives like
"extra clearance".