Re: gEDA-user: Parts!

> That is what most CAD systems do. Usually you can't select farther down
> than footprint, like "oh, I want one with the solder mask tucked some
> more".

Well, real needs would be like: axial resistor: 0.4" vs 0.5" vs 0.6"
spacing, TO-220 standing up or laying down, or the 0603[LMN]
differences.  The last is probably project-wide, but the others depend
on the specific layout of that part.

> That would require making a new footprint with a new name to it.

Ah, but if we're clever with the names, PCB would know how to group
alternative footprints that are for the "same" package.

> This would be leather seats plus champagne cooler :-)

Well, yeah, but it's a goal, not the "next step".  I often want to
swap gate pins (or memory addr/data pins) in pcb to make the layout
work.  Putting that functionality in gschem is useless; gschem doesn't
know what the layout looks like.

> > footprint class (or specific) -> slotting(numbering) -> gschem
> > (this is done in pcb)
>
> That part would IMHO only make sense if or after the broken annotation
> and power pin issue gets resolved.

That too.

> > For SOP footprints, for example, we could "outline around pads" and
> > "outline between pads" options, or project-specific alternatives like
> > "extra clearance".
> >

> Nice, but it doesn't have to go that far. Most people are used to
> making special footprints. Like one for Rogers, one for FR4 and
> maybe one for <gasp> the super-saver phenolic projects, then keep
> using them all the time.

All the more reason to have PCB give you a way to select among them
for "that package type".