gEDA-user: edit panel not appearing

Hi.

I'm brand new to geda and gschem and was very excited to see it
working on my Mac (OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)) but for some reason unknown to
me all of a sudden i can not get the edit panel for components to
appear.  When I type "ee" or select "Edit->Edit", the focus goes away
from the schematic page but the edit panel does not appear.  I tried
rebooting but nothing will get it back that I have tried so far.

-Michael