Re: gEDA-user: Database on symbols, footprints and other (was "Re: gattrib")

Hi

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 15:11 -0600, John Doty wrote:
> On May 6, 2010, at 2:18 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
>

> >> That's what sinks all forms of general-purpose parts database,
> >> including the ever popular proposed library of heavy symbols.
> >
> > If you're just going to just down everyone's attempt to solve this
> > problem, please stop responding to it.  We want to solve this problem,
> > even if you don't, so stop being so negative and let us do it.
>
> You keep talking about software mechanisms to use a database that will never exist. That shows a complete misunderstanding of the nature of the problem. Please don't pollute the tools with unusable features.

May be its better to focus on a practical and intelligent way to fill
the database first, and then go to the multiple utilities that can be
developed and implemented around the database.

Sometime ago I was thinking that gEDA-users as a comunity could request
a part search API-like system to the distributors. For example,Digikey
already has a fast-search bar for firefox, so they are not far from what
I mean. But the useful way would be something like the GeoCode APIs
available on the web. So the app can build a part search request from a
set of string, and generate the url to get the answers. A solution like
that would allow every EDA tool to implement multiple itneresting
functions like purchase information from multiple distributors based on
BOM info, and so on.

I have the feeling that this could have good reception from companies
like digikey, mouser, arrow...

Onse you have the part's sources, you can focus on the procedures to
build the database or the relational engine to do useful things with the
data...

> Again, it's like the SPICE model problem. We already have a software solution: just attach model-name=whatever to the symbol. Easy ... not.

I think this part is a bit more complicated, but would be great if the
same mechanism works on it.

> John Doty              Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd.
> http://www.noqsi.com/
> jpd@xxxxxxxxx

Best Regards, Felipe.

--