Re: gEDA-user: Database on symbols, footprints and other (was "Re: gattrib")

Hi,

On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 14:45 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Thu, 06 May 2010 17:30:01 -0400, Felipe De la Puente Christen wrote:
>
> > I have the feeling that this could have good reception from companies
> > like digikey, mouser, arrow...
>
> I have a feeling, that they won't bother. They may not see a reason to
> provide a special service.

I think there's not much to do to implement the service. In fact the
service is already there, what's lacking is a proper interface to let
3rd party software get the search results without accesing the website
through a browser. It could even be there already in the case of
digikey, but I'm not that familiar with these search-bar plugins, and
haven't had the time to check the code(?) for info to implement the
searches.

> We don't represent a relevant volume of sales.

It isn't about us, it is about the EDA-users community. Independently of
being gEDA-users the ones requesting the thing, the benefit is for the
whole EDA-users, since all other EDA developers can implement features
based on the new source of information.

That said, I have my doubts about the nature of the database needed(in
general terms). The
device/manufacturer/distributor/package/price/whatever info is already
on the supplier's databases, and it's changing continuously. So for me,
the "gEDA" database should try to have the minimum hard-saved data as
possible, and take advantage of the info provided(which is already
maintained by 3rd parties).

Best Regards, Felipe.

--
Felipe De la Puente Christen