Re: gEDA-user: How do I mark the connection point on a pad?

Stephan Boettcher wrote:

>> 1) new user makes a board not knowing much about the tools involved
>> 2) default via size is set smaller than default DRC check.
>
> But isn't that perfect?  When you start a new board it is mandatory to
> first think about design rules and default via/routing size on your
> board.  When you fail to to so, isn't it reasonable for the DRC to fail
> as well?

Definitely not. Applications should not use this kind of blackmail to
enforce whatever work-flow the developers think is "good practice". In
particular, it should not allow to move on and fail long time after the
supposes sloppyness happened.

The purpose of default settings is to provide a reasonable working
environment without user interaction. Settings that predictably make
DRC fail kind of defeat this purpose.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak