Re: gEDA-user: How do I mark the connection point on a pad?

kai-martin knaak wrote:
Stephan Boettcher wrote:

1) new user makes a board not knowing much about the tools involved
2) default via size is set smaller than default DRC check.
But isn't that perfect?  When you start a new board it is mandatory to
first think about design rules and default via/routing size on your
board.  When you fail to to so, isn't it reasonable for the DRC to fail
as well?

Definitely not. Applications should not use this kind of blackmail to enforce whatever work-flow the developers think is "good practice". In particular, it should not allow to move on and fail long time after the supposes sloppyness happened. The purpose of default settings is to provide a reasonable working environment without user interaction. Settings that predictably make DRC fail kind of defeat this purpose.
---<)kaimartin(>---
I agree, if you want to make it mandatory to first think about design rules and default, don't allow any actions until those things are set. Just because I didn't know about the "right" way doesn't mean I should be punished much later in the process.

Jim.