Re: gEDA-user: OT: Bike Alarms (was: Re: Copper-free area in footprint)

Remember what the original suggestion was:  have the device wake up for a few seconds once a day and send a message as to where it is (or maybe only send that message if it's not where it's supposed to be).

Considering that a typical bike-mounted gps (Garmin Edge 305, for example) can run for several hours on 3xAA batteries, including gps, cadence, heartrate and speed sensors, along with a continuous display, I think a couple of AA batteries would power this thing for several months or even years, at a few seconds per day.

And if you can tie it in to Shimano's DI-2 power pack, it will have its power routinely recharged by the user every few weeks for other purposes any way.  IOW, I think it sounds quite practical.  Now if we can just figure out a way of getting the signal out of a metal frame like mine...  Maybe sneak a wire through a tiny hole in the seat post and attach it to the bottom of the saddle?