gEDA-user: OT: Bike Alarms (was: Re: Copper-free area in footprint)

John Griessen wrote:
> David C. Kerber wrote:
> > If you've got a carbon frame, you could drop it into the
> > seat tube, where it would never be seen, and therefore never
> > removed by a thief...
>
> This really does sound like a product since bikes can cost these days.

Not to put too much of a spanner in the works, but...

Where does the power come from? How long would it last between recharges?

I can't see much of a market if you have to remove the saddle and turn
the bike upside down to extract the device every week to recharge the
battery, especially if it's sitting unused in the garage.  People will
forget to do it, and then the device is rendered impotent.

Remember that Li-Ion batteries have a nasty habit of self-discharging,
and if you've gone to the expense of getting a super-light carbon fibre
bike frame, you're unlikely to want to add lots of weight with a large
battery.