Re: gEDA-user: OT: Bike Alarms (was: Re: Copper-free area in footprint)

David SMITH wrote:

> Where does the power come from?

Same as with the lights. Either from a dynamo, or from batteries charged at
home.

> How long would it last between recharges?

Can be pretty long. The device can be completely shut down except for a real
time clock. It just needs to wake up once a day to check for incoming SMS.
Only if the SMS tells that the owner considers the bike as stolen, it needs
to activate current consuming GPS.

> Remember that Li-Ion batteries have a nasty habit of self-discharging,

Use NiCd instead?

> and if you've gone to the expense of getting a super-light carbon fibre
> bike frame, you're unlikely to want to add lots of weight with a large
> battery.

Many expensive bikes are mountain bikes, dirt jumpers and the like. These
are  and far from  super light weight. Also remember, a decent lock is about
1.5 kg. I see next to every expensive looking bike with such a lock.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Ãffentlicher PGP-SchlÃssel: