Re: gEDA-user: pcb doesn't allow adding a thermal to vias

On Fri, 6 May 2011 12:24:48 -0700
Andrew Poelstra <asp11@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 11:54:41AM -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> > I am confused why pcb won't allow me to add a thermal to a via and
> > to a through-hole pin.  I am trying to connect these to the ground
> > plane. Clicking the via or pin with the "THRM" tool has no effect.
> > I expect it to add the X connecting the pin/via to the surrounding
> > polygon ground plane.
> >
> > I even tried using the exact command given as an example in the
> > SetFlag action section on the pcb manual
> >
> >     SetFlag(SelectedPins,thermal)
> >
> > but I get the following result in the message window:
> >
> >     SetFlag():  Flag "thermal" is not valid
> >

> It appears that "thermal" is not supported by ChangeFlag (and
> SetFlag, which calls it). I believe this is a documentation
> bug.
>
> Instead try
>   SetThermal(SelectedPins, 1)
>
> (the numbers 1,...,6 give different styles, and 0 means no thermal).

Thanks for the tip.  It works great in a minimal test board but it
still fails with my real layout.

Try it and see.  Here's the board:
<http://gibibit.com/upload/2011-05-06_Thermal_problem_1.pcb>

I want to add a thermal to J1 pin 1.  It is in the netlist as connected
to GND.

Regards,
Colin