Re: gEDA-user: Reinventing the wheel

> On 17/05/2011, John Doty<jpd@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>
>> On May 17, 2011, at 9:56 AM, Russell Shaw wrote:
>>

>>> Most guis hide what they do. I believe in them showing the commands they
>>> send internally as a script would (or atleast have the option to show
>>> that) so the user can paste the commands into an external file if
>>> needed.
>>
>> I've done GUIs that wrap scripts, but it only works in very simple,
>> shallow cases. An API that supports GUI well is very different from an API
>> that supports scripting well.
>>
>> John Doty              Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd. http://www.noqsi.com/
>> jpd@xxxxxxxxx

On 18/05/11 04:57, Eduardo Costa wrote:
Hi guys,

That's not true at all John. Have you ever heard/seen a program called Alias
Wavefront Maya? It used to be from Silicon Graphics, but they sold it to
Autodesk a couple of years ago.

A program for 3D CGI which has quite an innovative popup menu system with
something called hotboxes and cardinal menus (the one shown bellow). 200%
productive, and much better than anyother existing/deployed nowadays:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/504/polygonquickmenunothingrx6.jpg/

and driven from MEL (sort of an intepreted c languaje they roled for the
purpose of scripting such a huge program). Believe me, you wouldn't even
think it is scripted because they didn't abuse of it, yet it lets such menu
system be 10 times more powerful!

I do share many of your points Russell, while I'm happy (still) using geda.
It seems to me is going somewhere I don't really want to be in a future.

I've got almost done a c-library I wrote implementing this menu systems for
my own programs. Haven't looked at it for a time, but it could work with gtk
or other toolkits as long as they allow low level event handling.

Anyways, if you are really going for it, and are going to use old'good c,
I'll be pleased to hear your thoughts and cooperate.

Hi,
I'm a gtk hater, and am open to new widget toolkit user interface paradigms,
even if it means writing new widgets or toolkits from scratch (which i've done
before).

I found the useability of a 20yo unix box sch/pcb cad program far better
in certain ways than current cad packages. It involved the left hand and
an external multi-button "puck" device in most of the screen-panning
operations, leading to much less mouse-finger fatigue. It made all the
current Windows cad packages look like kiddies toys by comparison.