Re: gEDA-user: Two things ... or actually, three

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 23:34 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

> It compiled OK after installing a bunch of dependencies, but I can't
> recall at all whether dbus was enabled or not. By the looks of it, I
> didn't use git, so I guess dbus is switched off. Is there a way to check
> if it is enabled?

xgsch2pcb will probably just hang whilst trying to update your design if
PCB isn't built with DBUS support. Crappy I know, but we didn't finish
all the timeouts and error messages properly yet.

Since I recall you were having issues with xgsch2pcb, I wondered if your
PCB might be missing DBUS support.

From a terminal, run:

dbus-monitor | grep pcb

Then open and close PCB. (From a different terminal)

I get on my machine (with PCB built with DBUS support):

   string "org.seul.geda.pcb"
   string "org.seul.geda.pcb"
   string "org.seul.geda.pcb"
   string "pcb"
   string "Unnamed (Unsaved.pcb) - PCB"
   string "Unnamed (Unsaved.pcb) - PCB"
   string "org.seul.geda.pcb"

> > There is also a new "File" -> "Import Schematics" option which DJ
> > produced, which you might like to look at as an alternative to
> > xgsch2pcb.

> I tried this (see another reply of mine to the mailing list), but right
> now, it doesn't seem all that user-friendly, to put it mildly.

As Peter Brett and I developed xgsch2pcb, I'm pretty happy with using
that myself - so I'll confess that I've not used the new "Import
schematics" functionality on an actual project.

That said.. I've not started an actual project since that functionality
was introduced. Either way, I can't really comment - other than "it
looked ok" when I gave it a cursory testing.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,