Re: gEDA-user: Two things ... or actually, three

Op vrijdag 27-05-2011 om 19:56 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Peter
Clifton:
> On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 10:03 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
>
> > - Work flow of newer gschem/PCB version: until recently, I worked with
> > an ïolder PCB version (20080202), but I finally got round to compiling
> > and installing the latest version -- and it's quite an improvement (no
> > more disappearing crosshairs, outlines and other GUI imperfections).
> > Now I was used to the work flow of gschem -> [update pcb in] xgsch2pcb
> > -> PCB, but this appears to have changed. Now I think I can find out by
> > myself, but being a lazy person, I wondered if someone could explain
> > this in a few words. Do I also need a newer gschem version? And has
> > anything changed with regard to custom created symbols and footprints
> > (as in: how do I make the new gschem and PCB versions aware of their
> > existence?).
>
> Did you build the version from git HEAD, or a recent release? I can't
> quite recall when "--enable-dbus" became a default-on option, but if it
> is not switched on, then xgsch2pcb will not work.
ï>
> git HEAD defaults to --enable-dbus being on.

I got the most recent snapshot (20100929) through
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcb/files/

It compiled OK after installing a bunch of dependencies, but I can't
recall at all whether dbus was enabled or not. By the looks of it, I
didn't use git, so I guess dbus is switched off. Is there a way to check
if it is enabled?

> There is also a new "File" -> "Import Schematics" option which DJ
> produced, which you might like to look at as an alternative to
> xgsch2pcb.

I tried this (see another reply of mine to the mailing list), but right
now, it doesn't seem all that user-friendly, to put it mildly.

Best regards,

Richard Rasker