Re: gEDA-user: which linux?

When you're running large application suites from a variety of sources - this is what gEDA is - you need to be careful about which OS tool versions you have.  For example, it is tricky (if at all possible) to fully install gEDA on the latest Fedora Core 4 system, because it has now adopted gcc version 4.  I found that the easiest path for me was to go back one version to FC3 with gcc v3.2 to get gEDA to install easily.

Other Linux distributions are less "agressive" about going to the latest versions of everything than Fedora is.  The safest route is to choose the OS/distro version under which gEDA was actually built.  (Which as far as I know was FC3.)  If you need other big Linux apps (especially commercial ones like VMware, Mathematica, etc.), you may want to avoid the very latest versions of the OS & tools.  I agree RHEL is probably a good choice if you don't mind paying a little.

Good luck!

Martin

On 11/5/05, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What's your opinion? Not sure what other apps I'll run, but definitely
> the geda suite.

Disclaimer: I'm a Red Hat Employee.

I use Fedora Core for all my machines, including my work machines and
laptop, file server, etc.  The furnace runs Red Hat Linux 6.2 but only
because I haven't had time to upgrade it yet.  FC is reasonably up to
date without being unduly unstable, and is constantly maintained and
updated.

If you care about stability, RHEL is a good option because they
guarantee a five year livespan.  There are student discounts too, and
a variety of support packages.

--
martin.ewing@xxxxxxxxx
http://blog.aa6e.net