Re: gEDA-user: which linux?

On Nov 5, 2005, at 2:28 PM, hoyuka hoya wrote:
Otherwise Windows XP is much more suitable for workstation than Unicies.

*laughs hysterically*

Personally, I have better things to do than deal with spyware & viruses every day, and "fdisk, format, reinstall, doo dah, doo dah!" every other week. I'm too impatient for Windows.

 I mean user friendly stable and fast Office and other type of GUI
applications are rare on Unicies. E.g. Windows XP's GUI much faster and
much less resource consuming than KDE and GNOME on the same hardware.

That's why performance-sensitive people (like you and I) don't run the bloated piles of crap that are the KDE or GNOME desktop environments. :)

(When I run WindowsXP on the top of VMWare on Linux, WinXP's GUI is still
much faster than KDE when it runs natively on Linux. Terrible!)

This has absolutely nothing to do with "Unicies"...it has to do with incompetent KDE and GNOME developers. Don't run KDE or GNOME and you'll witness a BLINDING speed difference between modern, fast UNIX and old Windows crap. The KDE/GNOME crowd seem to be trying to out-bloat Windows, and that's pretty scary.

Now, I have no problem with a few KDE or GNOME apps (the GNOME-izded pcb for example) but running the whole desktop environment is enough to drag even my brand-new Sun Ultra20 (Opteron) through the mud. That's just plain silly.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire "You'll have to be a lot more specific than 'that
Cape Coral, FL girl last night.'" -Ted McFadden