Re: gEDA-user: which linux?

On Nov 5, 2005, at 5:49 PM, hoyuka hoya wrote:
   Personally, I have better things to do than deal with spyware &
viruses every day, and "fdisk, format, reinstall, doo dah, doo dah!"
every other week.  I'm too impatient for Windows.

I leave these tasks to my girlfriend :) (she is keen on tuning WinXP),
unfortunatlely she installs a lot of shit SW which are running
permanently.
Reinstalling is needed about once during a half year. That machine is not
directly connected into the internet, but through a Debian machine with
network address translation. I think this is a bit safer than direct
connection.

Yes, most definitely. I'm very strongly of the opinion, though, that any OS that's so poorly-designed that it needs to be reinstalled every six months is unusable. I have servers here that run in heavy use, all day every day, 365 days per year, that go THREE TIMES that long between *reboots*...much less OS reinstalls.

The Windows world has been trained towards very low expectations, and it gives the real computing world a very bad reputation.

It's interesting that the relative cheap x86 based HWs with WinXP can run
monthes without interruption and noticable failures, while amoung the
relative expensive Sun Fire V440s there are at least one disk failure
monthly.

Time to buy better disks. ;)

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire "You'll have to be a lot more specific than 'that
Cape Coral, FL girl last night.'" -Ted McFadden