Re: gEDA-user: which linux?

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 00:57:31 +0100 (CET)
"hoyuka hoya" <hoyuka@xxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I agree with your explanation. But the human beeings rather use
> directly Windows for there every day work/pleasure than computer
> systems made for doing critical things.

You miss the point. We, and people who thinks that Unix is something
"good" do not use Unix, becouse everyone does it too. People who use
windoze use windows becouse "they've been told" to use it!!!!

I think this is the point. We are using Unix, becouse of its
performance. Other's using WIndows, becouse they made lasy by ads or
whatever... Of course it's simplified version of the storry.

> But imagine that the most common desktop OS would be Unix based and
> user friendly /very confortable to use and maintaine (since it's an
> important requirement for a desktop OS). There were a lot of user who
> would use this system always as root. There were mailing clients
> which allowed to run scripts/binaries comming with e-mails. Same
> terrible things would happen with these Unix machines like Windows
> machines now.

Makes no snece. All I ever wnated from people who use windoze, to
somehow respect others. E.g. on my university to put the f*cking
acrobat reader to the computer at our end semester presentation, since
I use LaTeX. That's all!
> People can hear from many sources that the Unicies are safer than MS
> stuffs. But I don't know. Even if Linux is Open Source I haven't
> reviewed every source line in the kernel and in the suid
> applications. So I don't know what is behind the surface. And I
> haven't compiled every application myself, I have downloaded it from
> somewhere. What if the Linux "originally" safe, but I downloaded a
> hacked package from somewhere and the hacker may know every steps
> what I do with the machine?

Trust. Linux is far more better in that way than windoze

> I think it's even possible to simulate a DNS which would map
> www.kernel.org to an other machine where the site would looks like
> exactly www.kernel.org, but would contain hacked kernel sources. I
> think ISPs can do it easily. Maybe it's not the aim of the ISP, but
> can be the aim of an individual who is working there.
>
> We can believe that our system is safe. But it's not sure :) :(
>
> I have a little story about a similar thing (I don't know that it's
> true or not, I have seen it on the TV news):
>
> Once uppon a time an American Herkules airplane visited Hungary. And
> the Americans and Hungarians played a game. Hungarians had to find
> the flying Herkules with MIG 29 fighters. During the seeking
> Hungarian pilots experienced bizzare behaviours of the MIG's
> electronic systems. (They have seen funny pictures on the HUD etc.)
> Pilots said that the Herkules "_disturbed_" the MIG's electronic
> systems. But I think disturbance is not a right term for this.
> Americans simple used the "undocumented features" :) of the MIG's
> electronic systems. How funny! :))))) Who has developed those
> electronic systems? Americans? Russians? All components were
> developed by Russia? Who is American? Who is Russian? Was the cold
> war a circus directed by some (business) friends? I have heard that
> i80486 were used in MIG 29 but it's not sure.

As being a Hungarian, I didn't heard that storry. And we bought
aircraft from Sweden.

Levente

--
E-Mail: levente.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
AIM: ha5ogl

/"\
\ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 X   against HTML email & vCards
/ \     http://arc.pasp.de/

Have Fun, & Linux! 73 for all by HA5OGL.
This message was generated by Sylpheed.