Re: gEDA-user: Fiducial

John Griessen wrote:

Dan McMahill wrote:

Does this need to be a feature?

I'm not an expert in PCB layout tools but it seems worthy

I think it is important but I'm not sure when I'll have time. I wonder if maybe just a "nopaste" flag for pins/pads is enough.

If we could show it as a layer and add a rectangle, I think it would be less error prone. Checking for such rare things as an added rectangle on soldermask or paste could be like: show only solderpaste layer, select all, see count.

so actually, I ended up looking this instead of sleeping like I should have been doing. I have added, but not yet committed, support for a pad having a "nopaste" flag. It does what it sounds like. This would let you create a fiducial element. I added a bit to the drc code that just gives you a warning and a count when you find "nopaste" pads. So you'll be told that you don't have drc violations but you may get a line like:

warning:  4 pads have the no paste flag set.

Any further comments from anyone before I check this in? Allowing the user to prevent a solderpaste stencil opening is important for fiducials but it also provides a mechanism for a user screw up and miss it easily which is why I wanted to at least provide the count.

-Dan