Re: gEDA-user: stupid newbie question

I've checked the datasheet and the footprint and they seem to comply
to each other. both have a 100 mil distance between the pins.

Could it be a printing problem?
I'll try to send of photo later, showing the chip over the paper.

Thank you.

2006/11/26, John Luciani <jluciani@xxxxxxxxx>:
On 11/26/06, Giorgenes Gelatti <giorgenes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> This may be stupid, but, here it goes.
> If I have a footprint of, for example, DIP40, is it a standard footprint?
> I mean, is there different sizes of DIP40, or DIP40 is always the same?

There are different pin spans for DIPs with the same pin count.
I have seen DIPs with pin spans of 300, 400 and 600mils.
Typically the higher pin counts have pin spans at 400 and 600mil.
Look for the DIP footprints names that contain a pin-count and a pin-span
value in the name (such as DIP40-600 or DIP40-300).

> The reason I'm asking this is becouse I did a pcb with a DIP40 on it,
> and when I printed
> the pins distance seemed to be a bit smaller than it should be.

How much smaller? 5mils, 10mils, 50mils, 100mils? If it is 5 or 10mils
it is probably
a mistake in the footprint. If it is 50mils or 100mils you probably
have the wrong
footprint.

(* jcl *)

--