Re: gEDA-user: compiling pcb lesstif, (was: Crash with lesstif)

On 11/28/06, John Griessen <john_g@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No matter what package your lesstif or motif is in, it may be affected by
changes in Xwindows from xfree86 to xorg.  Problem may be where programs expect
libraries to be...  See below and adapt it to your case with Suse.

>> I have seen this also.  It relates to changes from xfree86 to xorg
>> Xwindows.
>>
>> Some standard ways of using .la files are changing and some packages
>> in debian are not correct...I also found a link would fix the lack.
>> Just hit and missed and hit finally...
>>

>> John G
>>
> John,
>
> I would love more insight on what you did to make this work.  First off
> - I'm building on a SuSe 9.3 system.  It has XFree86 Xwindows (as far as
> I know).  Right now I can't figure out what's missing and have found no
> way to get a running (lesstif) pcb version.

This link  s necessary on my system with its /etc/ld.so.conf list
as at the end of this email...   make library and link changes and run ldconfig
before trying pcb.   Document this on your system so you can back out of it with
a rescue disk if need be -- not known working method, just a SWAG -- could kill
Xwindows.

John G

=======================

To get lesstif GUI of pcb to compile, that other link wasn't needed.

I did this link:

ln -s /usr/X11R6/include/X11/SM /usr/include/X11/SM

affected packages are

lesstif2            0.94.4-2
lesstif2-dev                0.94.4-2

in /etc/ld.so.conf:

/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/X11R6/include/X11
/usr/include
/usr/include/Mrm
/usr/include/uil
/usr/include/Xm

I don't have /usr/include/Mrm,uil,Xm and thus don't have any entries in ld.so.conf for them. Should I have these files?

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

 > It's in lesstif2-dev.
 >

 > cheers
 > Hamish
====================
/etc/ld.so.conf
=======================
/opt/blender/lib
/opt/opt/tinyos-2.x/lib
/opt/pcb/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.1/
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/X11R6/include/X11
/usr/include
/usr/include/Mrm
/usr/include/uil
/usr/include/Xm
/lib
/opt/geda/share
/opt/geda/lib

What files are installed in /opt/geda/share and /opt/geda/lib?

/opt/bin
/opt/lib
/opt/lib/pkgconfig
/opt/acroread
/opt/mspgcc/lib
/opt/mspgcc/include
/usr/lib/xorg

I don't have /usr/lib/xorg. Should I have this? Is it an indicator of the newest X11? Does pcb need it (indirectly)?.

/usr/lib/i3d
/usr/lib/gnucash
/usr/lib/libc5-compat/Xaw3d
/opt/apache2/lib
/usr/include/readline
/usr/local/share
/usr/local/lib
/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf/loaders
/usr/lib/libc5-compat
/usr/i486-linuxlibc1/lib

Some of the other stuff in ld.so.conf isn't relevant to my setup. Other than what I specifically mention above, all the files the I think I should have are there.

Thanks for the info,

Joe T