Re: gEDA-user: Fiducial

John Griessen wrote:

Dan McMahill wrote:

Does this need to be a feature?

I'm not an expert in PCB layout tools but it seems worthy

I think it is important but I'm not sure when I'll have time. I wonder if maybe just a "nopaste" flag for pins/pads is enough.

If we could show it as a layer and add a rectangle, I think it would be less error prone. Checking for such rare things as an added rectangle on soldermask or paste could be like: show only solderpaste layer, select all, see count.

Having the paste patterns shown explicitly and having a way to explicitly create a paste pattern would be the general way to do it. Same thing for the solder mask. There have been lots of times where I just wanted a rectangle cleared of solder resist. that is not tied to a part.

PCB really should be able to cleanly deal with layers that are not copper.

Joe T

As far as one side only fiducial workarounds, how about these:

Make opposed, offset L lines in a copper layer so their edges are on intersecting X and Y axes. Etching results might make the edges eaten back from a perfect line through them all, but you could still use them as fiducials by aiming for the middle of the gap. This approximates a fiducial of alternating squares of black and clear.

Another is a zero length line to get a circle of copper layer. Same as a zero diameter via, but on one side only.