Re: gEDA-user: Added PCB output to gnetman

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 08:53 -0600, John Griessen wrote:

> Bill Cox wrote:
>
> > It's true that DataDraw was developed using MFC on windows.  I run it
> > using Wine.  However, the binary needed for wine is signed in under svn.
> > Also the code generator, which is the important part, is signed in using
> > the mkddr utility, which compiles under linux.
>
> [jg]Wasn't there a part involved in the building that was not OK to put on a web
> server?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  DataDraw is 100% GNU (but
generates code you can use however you like).

>  > If there were users other than QuickLogic, Synplicity, ViASIC, and
>  > myself, I'd be more interested in upgrading the GUI, but as it is, there
>  > are more important tasks.
>
> [jg]Even though it is not popular, it's a SW design tool...  What if we ask for
> some SW students to advance it as part of their class work?  It might get to be
> truly open for all that way.

Nice idea, but I'm not that excited to have students hacking it up.  I
find only the most hard-core coders should write the code generators,
kind of like C++ templates.

I should just find some time and write the schematic generator, and use
that code to also create a schema viewer.

- Bill