Re: gEDA-user: Simulation troubles ...

On Monday 12 November 2007, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:03:01 -0500, al davis wrote:
> > It has lots of features for advanced use, but doesn't work
> > well as a simple waveform viewer.
>
> Did you use xmgrace ability to receive commands and actions
> via pipes?

I didn't do a lot, or spend much time with it.  I was looking
from the viewpoint of someone who wants to quickly observe the
waveforms with a minimum of effort. ..  something to help with
the "simulation troubles" that started this thread.  Recall ..
the original poster values ease of use and ease of learning
above all else.

On Monday 12 November 2007, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> > For that, I still think gwave is the best so
> > far.  Gwave is simple, but has some build issues.
>
> Well, the features Dan asked for (arbitrary functions, polar
> chart, smith chart, Millions of data points, etc), are
> clearly advanced. These would be a serious project to code
> from scratch. Don't underestimate the value of publication
> quality postscript output.

That's "advanced use"....

There are toolkits for TCL designed for exactly this, so you
would not really be coding it from scratch.  I think it would
be a rather easy summer project.  I am not sure what other
languages like Python and Ruby have to offer in this regard,
but having a true interpreted language is a big plus for this
job.  Actually, I think it is a requirement.