Re: gEDA-user: Enlarged footprints for hand soldering -- name conventions

Hello!
Having several variants of the same footprint requires some work to modify basic footprint of each symbol to add soldering techhnology suffix. This can be automated however.
Another solution is to store them in several libraries, then you only have to specify the soldering technology (hand soldering, wave, heat transfer etc.) while transfering the design from gschem to pcb.

Wojciech Kazubski

> some footprint outlines suggested by manufactures are only useful for
> automatic hot air soldering (ie. DFN14 of LTC4088 from Linear).
>
> For hand soldering extended pads are necessary -- so I will create two
> versions.
>
> How should I name the official (manufacturer) and the extended
> footprints?
>
> PartName.fp (size as spezified in datasheet)
> PartName_ext.fp (extended)
> PartName_ext10.fp (each pad extended by 10mil)
> PartName_hs.fp (hand soldering)
>
> ?
>
> Best regards

Stefan Salewski