Re: gEDA-user: Problem with gEDA Makefile on ubuntu

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 18:38 -0500, Craig Niederberger wrote:
> Thanks super, Peter, for helping me out on this.  I went through all
>    of the directories and ran the .sh scripts (see below), some with
>    errors, some without.  Still getting when I run make install the
>    following error.  Any ideas?

Can you post the output of:

update-alternatives --display automake

I have automake 1.10, and I suspect you might encounter problems with
older versions.

What ubuntu version do you have?

I'm on Intrepid now, but looking at launchpad suggests that 1.10 was
available since at least "Gutsy".

https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/automake1.10

1.9 was available since "Dapper"

https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/automake1.9

Have you got any pieces of a manually installed automake / autoconf left
over?

>   I found aclocal and included it with
>    export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/share/aclocal"

There should be no need for that, if aclocal is the version you have
in /usr/bin, it should be pulling in stuff from /usr/share/aclocal
anyway. Typically, there is no need to manually run aclocal if you're
using "make reconfig" from the top level, or ./autogen.sh from the
sub-directories.

>    # gattrib/autogen.sh
>    processing gattrib
>    autogen.sh running: intltoolize ...
>    autogen.sh running: aclocal -I /usr/share/aclocal ...
>    aclocal: macro `AM_PROG_MKDIR_P' required but not defined
>    autogen.sh running: autoheader ...
>    autoheader: error: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS not found in [5]configure.ac
>    autogen.sh running: automake  ...
>    [6]configure.ac: no proper invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found.
>    [7]configure.ac: You should verify that [8]configure.ac invokes
>    AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
>    [9]configure.ac: that aclocal.m4 is present in the top-level
>    directory,
>    [10]configure.ac: and that aclocal.m4 was recently regenerated (using
>    aclocal).
>    data/Makefile.am:39: ENABLE_UPDATE_DESKTOP_DATABASE does not appear in
>    AM_CONDITIONAL
>    data/Makefile.am:44: ENABLE_UPDATE_DESKTOP_DATABASE does not appear in
>    AM_CONDITIONAL
>    docs/Makefile.am:8: BUILDDOC does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
>    src/Makefile.am:4: CCISGCC does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
>    /usr/share/automake-1.7/am/[11]depend2.am: am__fastdepCC does not
>    appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
>    /usr/share/automake-1.7/am/[12]depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in
>    AM_CONDITIONAL
>    autogen.sh running: autoconf ...

>    # gschem/autogen.sh
>    autogen.sh creating [18]configure.ac
>    cat: [19]configure.ac.in: No such file or directory

*** configure.ac.in should be part of the repository check out,
something is wrong if that file is missing. (It is a source file, not an
auto-generated file).

Can you check it is present?

>    processing gschem
>    grep: [20]configure.ac: No such file or directory
>    grep: [21]configure.ac: No such file or directory
>    grep: [22]configure.ac: No such file or directory

(Not surprised if it couldn't find configure.ac.in

>    # libgeda/autogen.sh
>    autogen.sh creating [30]configure.ac
>    cat: [31]configure.ac.in: No such file or directory

(Same applies as gschem)

>    processing libgeda
>    autogen.sh running: autopoint ...
>    autopoint: *** cvs program not found

You'll need to install cvs for certain versions of gettext.

Can you report the output of:
dpkg-query -l gettext

Also, try again after installing cvs (and we've fixed the other
breakage):

apt-get install cvs

>    # make install
>    (lots of stuff)

Probably little point doing that until the reconfig step passes.
[snip]

>    ( cd libgeda; ./autogen.sh)
>    autogen.sh creating [32]configure.ac

(See, its retrying to generate the broken build infrastructure)

>    processing .
>    autogen.sh running: autopoint ...
>    autopoint: *** cvs program not found
>    autopoint: *** Stop.
>    autogen.sh running: intltoolize ...
>    autogen.sh running: libtoolize ...
>    You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
>    `aclocal.m4'.
>    autogen.sh running: aclocal -I /usr/share/aclocal ...
>    aclocal: macro `AM_PROG_MKDIR_P' required but not defined
>    aclocal: macro `AM_PROG_MKDIR_P' required but not defined
>    autogen.sh exiting...
>    make: *** [libgeda/configure] Error 1
>
> References
>
>    1. http://configure.ac/
>    2. http://configure.ac/
>    3. http://configure.ac/

Not sure what program is putting references in the bottom of peoples
emails, but I've seen it before.. what mail client is that?

http://configure.ac/ is of no real use to us now, so I assume some
helpful program is guessing and inserting these?

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,