Re: gEDA-user: Problem with gEDA Makefile on ubuntu

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 13:12 -0600, Craig Niederberger wrote:

>    I just mocked up a make install (not as root) and it works!  Many,
>    many thanks!!  As soon as I get pcb to work, I'll uninstall the
>    geda/pcb I installed from Synaptic (out of curiosity, it's v1.14--how
>    current is the package on Synaptic?) and then  do a root install, and
>    let you know how that goes.

If you're using the toplevel makefile as is, installing in
$HOME/geda/... then don't make install as root. For "root install", I
presume you're looking to change the toplevel Makefile so gEDA installs
in the /usr/local prefix.

In that case edit line 30 of the toplevel Makefile. Since I'd suggest
not building as root, you will probably have to build the directories
manually. "make libgeda", then "sudo make libgeda_install".

(or "make", "sudo make install" in the actual sub-directory).

You will need libgeda installed and in the right place before you
continue to build the rest of the suite, "make all" is available, but
you need to get libgeda in place first.

>    Which brings me to pcb...
>    So far I have these things installed:
>    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential gcc-3.4
>    sudo apt-get install git-core cvs flex bison texinfo
>    sudo apt-get install automake autoconf libtool pkg-config gettext
>    groff intltool
>    sudo apt-get install guile-1.8 guile-1.8-dev libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-dev
>    libglib2.0-dev
>    sudo apt-get install tetex-bin tetex-base doxygen transfig
>    sudo apt-get install gettext gettext-base
>    $ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/pcb login
>    $ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/pcb co
>    -P pcb
>    $ cd pcb
>    $ ./autogen.sh
>    $ ./configure --prefix=/opt/geda --with-gui=gtk
>    --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-doc
>    $ make
>    Lots of stuff happens, then it bombs out with a TeX error (see
>    below).  Looking at my apt-get installs above, am I missing
>    something?  For Tex, I have tetex-bin and tetex-base...
>    Again, many many thanks,
>    Craig
>    (Lots of stuff)
>    /usr/bin/texi2dvi: Running etex --file-line-error './pcb.texi' ...

[snip]

>    Output written on pcb.dvi (140 pages, 416196 bytes).
>    Transcript written on pcb.log.
>    /usr/bin/texi2dvi: etex exited with bad status, quitting.
>    make[3]: *** [pcb.dvi] Error 1
>    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/craign/tmp/pcb/doc'
>    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
>    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/craign/tmp/pcb/doc'
>    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/craign/tmp/pcb'
>    make: *** [all] Error 2

Hmm, not sure there. Try running make a second time, as it looks like
tex might have semi-succeeded. (Output was written to pcb.dvi).

If that fails, try with --disable-doc

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,