Re: gEDA-user: Silkscreen Logo

The logo question piqued my interest.

A long time ago I worked for Digital Equipment Corporation. We went through
a re-branding process in our  later years. One of the things that arose with
the introduction of PC's and graphical software was that everyone wanted to
make use of the logo on all the material they were creating.

A lot of people, staff and clients made use of the font built into the LA120
printer to make the logo and other used the various fonts that came with
Corel at the time.

In our quest to clearly define our brand, the logo was given special
attention, as it was central to the company.

A commission given to an artist to create the Digital Equipment Corporation
logo, resulted in the logo being carved from blocks of wood.

No font could accurately recreate the logo, the dots above each I are in
fact different, they were hand carved. The logo could only be officially
created then by photographs of the original art, or by PostScript created
from high resolution scanning of photographs of the original art. In any
case, counterfeit packaging and products could be identified by careful
examination of the logo for it's distinctive characteristics that of course
did not exist in any electronic font.

In our re-branding, we also dictated what could be used at the same time
visually with the logo, how far away the other thing had to be, how large
the logo had to be, and specific colours that the logo had to be. A special
consideration was that the wood letters being carved were in fact designed
to reveal the background behind them, so it was an issue when a colour was
placed into the logo when it's legal defined use said that the background
was to be revealed.

I recently worked for a while with GE and in the course of preparing
documentation for GE, also encountered and extensive rule-book on the logo
and it's use.

The point I am trying to make here is that the firm you are doing the work
for, may have paid out good money for someone to create a brand for them,
aka the logo, and as such, they may have a desire to see it used a certain
way. They may in fact have a desire to at least provide you with original
artwork, of a substantially higher quality than that of a bit mapped screen
shot.

The bit map that you captured has a resolution that probably goes from 72
DPI to possibly 100 DPI. The silkscreen you intend to use may have a
resolution of 300 DPI and possibly 600 DPI (not likely), and that means that
the logo will not look as good as it should.

The companies logo could also by in colour and they firm may not want it
reproduced in anything but colour. In fact, the actual art my still belong
to the graphic artist and he may want it to remain in colour.

Call them and get the original artwork, they will be happy you did.

Regards, rtt