Re: gEDA-user: Slotting and visible power connections

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 09:33 -0800, Joerg wrote:
> Bernd Jendrissek wrote:

[snip]

> >> In
> >> gschem you'd have to design a separate power pair for pretty much every
> >> part that has more than one slot. Can be done but kind of messy.
> >
> > Not on my fork: you can have one power pair symbol that you use for
> > all parts that have such a pair of power pins.
> >

> That doesn't work well on analog designs. Often you must filter the
> supply of one 74HC14 because it is used as a low noise oscillator, but
> not on all the others. Or a design I just had where more than a dozen
> opamps of same type all had to have their own personal supply.

I think you missed the point Bernd was making. His fork allows truly
generic symbols, such as an "opamp", "set of power pins", and those
would be placed on the schematic. His fork then has a separate
association, say - for example, between (four opamps, one power-pins),
and maps those onto a package.

His point was that given the generic block / gate / amplifier symbol for
the task, and one (or more?) generic power rail symbol(s), you could
then describe most parts without further drawing - assuming you have a
database which knows the appropriate function and pin number mappings.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,