Re: gEDA-user: Breaking a track into two segments by using a hole

On 08/11/2008, Simon Clubley <simon.clubley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/11/2008, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >
>  >  Try doing it this way instead:
>  >
>  >  Instead of one long track, use many track segments - one between each
>  >  pair of vias.  Then, you can just remove the segments you need to,
>  >  independently of turning vias into holes.
>  >

> Thank you. I'll try that way instead.

An update for the benefit of those reading this in the future who may
want to do the same thing.

Laying down individual track segments didn't work - pcb combined them
up into one long track. However, issuing djopt(splitlines) after all
the lines and vias had been laid down did work. After unlocking the
segment to be deleted, I was then able, as suggested above, to delete
a individual track segment to break the track in two.

In order to make selecting the individual track segments easier, I
also switched to Power sized tracks, and Signal sized vias. I get lots
of DRC warnings, but the example circuit from the tutorial routed just
fine when laid out on this veroboard layout.

I used one of the signal layers to route any jumpers between vias on
the different tracks, making sure I didn't hit any intermediate vias
while routing the jumper.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions you offered,

Simon.