Re: gEDA-user: "mm garbage", cannot repro

Hi DJ,

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 00:55 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > I can't repro the MM line garbage.  I downloaded bx.pcb and while
> > there is a single point line IN the file (out in space) I can't get
> > points by deleting any of the lines already in the file or by
> > drawing some in the grid saved with the file and then deleting them.
>
> I can.  Set a 0.25mm grid and draw a bunch of lines that *look* like
> plain 45 lines (i.e. no obvious corner, like you'd often get with _/,
> and don't use X).  About one in four will produce a 1/100 mil line to
> compensate for the grid rounding.
>
> Heck, just drawing a diamond between the four grid points surrounding
> a fifth is enough to get two remnants.

I just did, 10 times :)

Results 9 times 2 out of 4, and 1 time 3 out of 4 possible garbage lines
emerged.

Maybe it's even possible to get 5 garbage lines for 4 traces drawn.

I'm not that good with statistics.

All 21 garbage lines have a *horizontal* length of 0.01 a mil.

Bad luck ? I think not :)

Would be fairly easy to write a plug-in to clean up on the garbage side
of the "mm garbage" problem, this doesn't solve things on the "root
cause" side of the "mm garbage" problem.

Or is it a "mil garbage" problem ?

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.