Re: gEDA-user: Want to Use TI's symbols, footprints

Hi Duncan and all,

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 08:51 +0200, Duncan Drennan wrote:
> > I'm in the process of coding such a beast (since October 2007) to be
> > used with gtk or from the command line with an ASCII input file.
>
> Bert, that is very cool. I had a quick look at the docs. Is it a
> footprint calculator (based on IPC-7351 spec) or does it just generate
> the pads based on the inputs?

The program is supposed to create pads based on:

The values for these entries in an ASCII file (invoked with "fpw
filename.fpw" from the command line).

or

The value in the entries in the GUI ("Pad length", "Pad width"), I
consider the annulus of a pin a "round" or "round elongated" pad (in
"Pin pad diameter (D)").

The "rules" for a specific footprint type are in a separate file, for
instance bga.c in which also the GUI settings and default values for
known packages of that type are coded.

I follow a well known spec for naming conventions.

If one enters a footprint name with a question mark as prefix, the
remaining part of the name is used to look up predefined (known) package
values.

For instance: in case of a footprint type "DIP" and a footprint name
"?DIP08300" the program will look up, and find, all needed values for a
footprint of a DIP 8 lead 300 mil wide package.

One can then tweak the pad shape, length and width to one's needs and
write the footprint to file and store the tweaked definition as an ASCII
file (probably something like "DIP08300_tweaked.fp" and
"DIP08300_tweaked.fpw").

It's not all perfect as of yet, a lot remains to be done (it's only
version 0.0.9).

I hope this clarifies some of your questions, please do not hesitate to
ask more :)

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.

BTW: I log in on #geda every know and then :)