gEDA-user: netname attrib on input symbols

Previously I've set the netname attribute on individual wires in gschem,
but got annoyed at having to move the wire end and wire label
separately.  I've tried the input symbols, input-1.sym, input-2.sym, and
input-orcad-1.sym, but I haven't found a way to make the netname
attribute propagate through gnetlist -g pcb filename.sch, e.g. the net
attached to the input symbol and its other connections don't take on the
netname attribute assigned to the input symbol.  Do I have false
expectations as to the purpose or behavior of these symbols?

Thanks,
Ethan