Re: gEDA-user: pcb-20091103

Chitlesh GOORAH <chitlesh.goorah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I see the build places refcard to the docdir. Is it outdated or legacy
> documentation? In PCB's GUI there is already a "Key Bindings" menu. I
> believe this one entails uptodate key bindings rather than the
> refcard. If it is outdated, then I think it should be removed from pcb
> sources.

I wonder if it builds unbroken (there is a recent report on SF tracker).

> Again in the make install process, pcb.html, pcb.ps and pcb.pdf are
> dumped into docdir.
> I think that everyone is using a modern linux
> distro with a pdf reader install by default on every desktop
> environment.

I think you are not quite right. not everyone. even not everyone
on this list.

> So is it wise to ship only the pcb.pdf ? This will
> decrease the size of the pcb RPM/deb to be downloaded by the user.
> pcb.pdf is the only one shipped by fedora rpms.
> What do you think ?

Following http://www.gnu.org/server/fsf-html-style-sheet.html,
I think that it is wise to offer a document in as many formats as supported.
even when running a desktop with XWindow system I typically
prefer documentation in text format, and I could explain why.

You are free to decide whether users of your GNU/Linux distribution will
benefit from including or removing documentation in particular formats,
but I believe the OS-neutral tarball should include and install all of them.

BTW, what packagers from different distros are going to do with this NEWS
entry?:
- [docs]    Add getting started guide

Best regards,
Ineiev